Building & Trades

 Meals and Travel

  • The cost of meals and incidental expenses when you are required to stay away from home overnight for work – there are special rules when you have received certain allowances!
  • The cost of parking, tolls, taxis and public transport if you are required to travel to attend seminars, meetings and training courses not held at your usual place of work or to travel between job sites
  • The cost of using your own car for work, including travel to attend meetings, attend training courses, pick up supplies, quoting and driving between or around job sites (to claim for car costs it is usually best to keep a diary record of the number of kilometres you travel during the year for work purposes and then we can calculate the amount of your tax deduction at the end of the year). You can claim the cost of using your own car to travel to and from work, BUT only if you are required to carry bulky tools and equipment for your work AND there is no secure area to leave these items on site overnight. You might have to keep a log book and receipts for motor vehicle running costs (fuel, rego & insurance, repairs ) or we can look at alternatives – e.g. cents per kilometre method


Work Clothing

  • The cost of buying uniforms (including hi vis shirts, pants, skirts, jackets, jumpers provided the uniforms have the business’s logo on it; HINT buy pants and shorts that have HI VIS or reflective material so that they qualify as safety equipment)
  • The cost of laundry, dry cleaning or repairs of your uniforms
  • The cost of buying sun protection items (including sunscreen, hats, sunglasses and sun-protection shirts or jackets)
  • The cost of buying other protective equipment that is not supplied (including overalls, gloves, goggles, masks, harnesses, helmets, steel-capped boots, gum boots, high visibility vests and winter outdoor jackets)



  • The cost of work-related short training courses (for example first aid, OH&S, truck and heavy equipment driving, management, staff supervision which are not run by a University or TAFE. You can claim for the cost of any course fees, books, stationery, internet connection, telephone calls, tools or equipment and travelling to and from the course. You can also claim any accommodation and meal expenses you have to pay if you are required to stay away overnight to attend your course
  • The cost of self-education courses run by a University (not including HECS/HELP) or TAFE (for example Cert III trade courses or Cert IV Building and Construction courses). If you are studying you can also claim for the cost of books, stationery, equipment and travel required for your course


Work Tools & Equipment

  • The cost of buying and repairing equipment you use at work (including tools, electronic organisers, laptop computers and mobile phones) & home office expenses
  • The cost of any materials or supplies that you buy for use at work (for example safety gear, first aid equipment, backpack or belt bag)
  • The cost of stationery, diary, log book, work bag or briefcase


Other Work Expenses

  • The cost of annual memberships or union fees (for example CFMEU fees)
  • The cost of renewing machinery operating licences and tickets that are required for your work, but not including your normal drivers licence
  • The cost of work-related books, magazines and journals
  • The cost of work-related mobile or home telephone calls and rental (you should keep a diary record of the number of phone calls you make for work for one month and then we can use that to estimate your usage for the whole year)
  • The cost of work-related internet connection fees (you can only claim the proportion of your monthly fees that relate to work use, which could include emailing, research relating to your job and research for your training courses but not getting a new job) Insurance & Public Liability


General Expenses

  • There are some tax deductions that all employees can claim on their personal tax returns:
  • The amount of any donations to registered charities (as long as you haven’t received anything in return for your donation, such as raffle tickets or novelty items)
  • The cost of bank fees charged on any investment accounts
  • The cost of income protection or sickness and accident insurance premiums (this type of insurance covers you if you hurt yourself (including when you are not at work) or become sick and you are unable to work.
  • Your tax agent fees (the amount you pay to your accountant to prepare your tax return & BAS each year)
  • The cost of travelling to see your tax agent (you can claim the cost of travelling to see your accountant to have your tax return prepared. You should keep a record of the number of kilometres you travel and any other incidental costs such as parking, meals, accommodation etc) This is not a definitive list so we suggest that you keep receipts for all purchases that are work related, credit card statements and bank statements can also be helpful.


Phone 02 60216762
Use Facebook for appointments or book on-line at our website