Teachers Tax

Here are some tax deductions you may be able to claim on your personal tax return this year

Parking, tolls, taxis and public transport if you are required to travel to attend seminars, meetings, training courses and excursions and if you need to stay away overnight for work you can also claim for the cost of all meals and your accommodation if you were not reimbursed by your employer

Attending school excursions, trips and camps (but NOT the cost of attending staff dinners or other social functions for the school)

Private car use for work, including travel to pick up supplies for teaching, attend meetings, training courses or conferences, to excursions, sporting, art or cultural events as part of your teaching obligations or between 2 places of work. You cannot claim returning to school for parent teacher meetings etc


Work clothing (including shirts, pants, skirts, jackets, jumpers – provided each item has the school’s logo on it)


Laundry or dry cleaning of your work clothing

Protective equipment, including gloves, goggles, masks, steel-capped boots, gumboots, sun protection items (sunglasses, hats and sunscreen), aprons, laboratory coats, art smocks but not gym gear & runners!

Short training, in-service or professional development courses, which are not run by a University or TAFE (you can also claim for the cost of travelling to and from the course and any accommodation and meal expenses if you are required to stay away overnight)

Self-education courses run by a University (not including HECS/HELP fees) or TAFE (for example Bachelor of Education), provided they relate to your CURRENT work. If you are studying, you can also claim for the cost of books, stationery, equipment and travel required for your course. This claim has been flagged by the Government as being limited to $2000 in the future

Buying and repairing equipment you use at work, including tools, musical instruments, electronic organisers, laptop computers and mobile phones. Buying or replacing furniture and fittings for your study at home* and the cost of any materials or supplies that you buy for use at work, for example teaching aids, office stationery, student prizes, diary, work bag or briefcase.  * There are special rules for claiming home office expenses*

Union fees (E.g. Teachers Federation)

Magazines or journals; and newspapers purchased for teaching purposes (reduced by personal use)


The cost of work-related books and professional library additions


The cost of stop watches, repairs and batteries (but NOT ordinary wrist watches)


Work-related mobile or home telephone calls (keep a diary record of the number of phone calls you make for work for one month)


The cost of work-related internet connection fees (work related percentage only)


The cost of the work-related portion of pay TV rental fees (you should keep a diary to record how many hours per week you spend watching pay TV for teaching purposes)


The cost of maintaining a home office if you are required to complete work at home (you should keep a diary to record how many hours per week you spend working from your  home office)


There are some tax deductions that all employees can claim on their personal tax returns:

Donations to registered charities (as long as you haven’t received anything in return for your donation, such as raffle tickets or novelty items)


Bank fees charged on any investment accounts


Tax agent fees (the amount you pay to your accountant to prepare your tax return each year)


Travelling to see your tax agent (you can claim the cost of travelling to see your accountant to have your tax return prepared. You should keep a record of the number of kilometres you travel and any other incidental costs such as parking, meals, accommodation etc)


Income protection insurance premiums (this type of insurance covers you if you hurt yourself (including when you are not at work) or become sick and you are unable to work.


Keep receipts and records for your expenses


Teachers who have HECS HELP debt who have recently graduated should seek further information from www.studyassist.gov.au in relation to Government assistance.